Monday, October 20, 2008

Rest assured, we're alive.

Mambo!!
I have so much I want to share with everyone right now, but time is of the essence. That's actually an odd statement coming from someone in Bagmoyo because everyone and everything is so laid back here. It's great but it is hard to get used to.

If I only had time to share one thing with you it would be that Tanzanians are hands down the friendliest people I have ever met. People say that Canadians are friendly, but they've clearly never met a Tanzanian.
It was strange at first because when Ruby and I first ventured out into the city on Friday our Swahili comprehension was(and still is)terrible so we didn't have any idea what people were saying. (Part of that has to do with the fact that they have 99 ways to say "Hello, how are you?") Now that we have a very (and I stress, VERY) basic comprehension we are able to converse a little better.
I'm not exaggerating when I say that most EVERYONE will say hello to you when you walk down the street and ask you how you're doing. So far everyone we have met and all of our experiences with locals have been great.

On a less positive note however, two of the girl here (both Americans)have caught Malaria and are pretty sick. They're on medication now and they should be better in a a week or so. One of the girls was on the same Antimalarial drugs though, so we have to be really diligent with applying mosquito repellent and wearing long sleeve pants and shirts. It's pretty hard to get excited about putting on long pants and long sleeves at night in 30 degree humid weather though.

Almost curfew time...better head back home.


Kuwaherini!

3 comments:

Hark said...

Good! I'm glad to hear that you're being treated well by the locals. Malaria is no joke, so cover up, Pinkskins!

Hannuli said...

miss you already sweet cheeks! hanna

sid said...

Mosquitos are attracted by scent temperature and dark colours. Do not wear any perfumed material,make-up or soaps, always wear bright light colours. I have a soap I'll send to you which discourages them...